The Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) is scheduled to begin construction on intersection improvements along St. Johns Avenue (State Road 211) from Herschel Street to Canterbury Street in early 2022, weather and schedule permitting.
Improvements include replacing two signalized intersections in the area with roundabouts:
- Herschel Street and Geraldine Drive “Teardrop" Roundabout
- Herschel Street at St. Johns Avenue.
Other improvements: new parking over Fishweir Bridge, sidewalk updates and new signage.
Proposed changes needed to complete construction of the roundabouts:
- Eliminating the left turn from Herschel Street southbound to Woodmere Drive.
- Eliminating the left turn from Geraldine Drive to Herschel Street and through movement to St. Johns Avenue.
- Eliminating left turns and through movements from Woodmere Drive.
This design also requires the closure or modification of driveways in FDOT right-of-way at the following locations:
- Two driveways on the north side of St. Johns Avenue in front of St. Johns Food Store and St. Johns Flower Market will be modified.
- One driveway in front of St. Johns Properties and Casablanca Day Spa will be closed.
- One driveway on Herschel Street in front of St. Johns Plaza and Harps Restaurant will be modified.
- The east driveway on Geraldine Drive in front of Ray Hardware will become right in/right out.
- The driveway in front of Herschel Animal Clinic will be modified.
American Lighting and Signalization LLC was selected to complete this $1.2 million project.