After conducting a traffic study at this intersection in 2014, FDOT is improving the safety and operational characteristics of this intersection and adjacent driveways through the following changes:
- Replacement of the traffic signal
- Installation of a new traffic separator on State Road 16
- Construction of dual southbound left turn lanes on U.S. 17
- Widening State Road 16 to four lanes
- Construction of a westbound left turn lane on State Road 16
- Construction of a northbound left turn lane on U.S. 17 at the median opening north of State Road 16
- Extending the westbound right turn lane on State Road 16
- Adjusting drainage to accommodate the proposed improvements
SEMA Construction, Inc., is the contractor for the $2.7 million project.
Traffic will be maintained in accordance with FDOT design standards throughout the project. The posted speed limit of 45 miles per hour will remain in place on both U.S. 17 and State Road 16. When lane closures are needed, drivers will be alerted in advance via portable, changing message signs. No lane closures will be permitted from 6 to 9 a.m. and 4 to 7 p.m. Monday through Friday.?